All Rights Reserved
Blogs are a great way to share your thoughts, ideas, opinions and ramblings with the Internet community if at all you have one. You can improve your writing and make a name for yourself. One of the most popular blog services around is called wordpress and it will only cost you few minutes in setting up a new blog. See Step 1 below to learn how to make your own blog/website/or Business center.
1. Visit the WordPress website. To begin signing up for your new blog, click on the “Get Started” button on the left side of the page. This will create a blog on the WordPress site. The blog will be free although you won’t be able to monetize the blog.
Many professional bloggers prefer to have their WordPress blog hosted on their own domain (example.com instead of example.wordpress.com). To host your own blog, you will need your own web host. This guide will show you how to set up a blog on your own server.
2. Enter your information. Fill out all of the required fields and click “Create Blog.” A valid email address will be needed, then create a WordPress username. Underneath the features list, click “Create Blog” to create your free blog. Make sure to read the terms of service! You will have the option of removing the WordPress tag from your URL for a certain yearly fee.
3.Create an address for your blog. You will be asked to create the address (URL) for your blog during the sign up process. You won’t be able to change the URL once you create it but if you want a new URL address, you can always create a new blog on the same account.
4. Open your activation email. The moment you sign up, you will be sent an email containing an activation link that you will need to follow to turn your account on. Go to your email and activate the blog by pressing the “Activate Blog” button in the email. Once you have activated the blog, a new window will appear called the “Dashboard.” It (the Dashboard) will be the central focus when editing your blog.
5. Give your new blog a title. On the left side of your dashboard, click on the “Settings” tab and select “General.” In Settings, you can give your blog a title, give it a tagline, edit your email address, adjust privacy settings, and do other things. Take time to explore all the features of the dashboard and get familiar with them.
6. Give your blog a theme. The theme your blog has is one of the most critical components. A theme is a color scheme and specific layout that gives your blog a distinct and unique feel. Explore all of the WordPress themes by clicking on the “Appearance” tab on the left side of the dashboard. Browse themes and select one that you think works well with the topic of your blog. The theme can be changed anytime. Some themes are “Premium” themes and need to be purchased.
7. Make your first blog post. There is a “Posts” tab on the left side of the dashboard, click on it then click “Add New.” Give your post a title and start writing! Make sure your first post is introductory and captivates the first-time readers.
8. Manage your widgets. There is a collection of widgets on every WordPress blog. They are shown on the right side on the home page of your blog. Features like a search bar, a Facebook “Like” option, and an Archives link are icluded in some popular widgets.
Move your mouse over the title of your blog in the upper left corner to add or remove widgets. A drop down menu will appear.
Click on the “Widgets” link. From here, drag the available widgets you want featured into the widget boxes on the right hand side of the screen.
Remove widgets you dislike by dragging them out of the widget box and back into the “available widgets” area.
9. Add pages to your blog. Apart from your main posting wall, a WordPress blog can contain various pages. Pages are great ways used to categorize the different content that is featured in your blog. For example, you can have a “Contact Us” page to help your viewers get in touch with you or your company. To create a new page, go to the drop down menu detailed in Step 7, click on “New,” and then “Page.” Give your new page a title, and then write the content for that page below.
10. Set your blog apart. There are lots of blogs out there. You’ll need to put in a little effort to make your blog unique, if at all you want it unique. There are some tips that can help you make your blog amazing, which include posting frequency, reader interaction, optimal post length, and more which this guide has.
11. Promote your blog. In other to increase your readership, you’ll need to start promoting your blog once it’s up and running. Which means utilizing as many avenues as possible, such as social media, email, and Twitter.